Thursday, September 23, 2010

Wildlife Safari

We don't do a lot of family vacations in the summer. Why? I don't know. Probably because we have a 2-year-old that's insane and she makes everything 100x harder. But, we decided to go down to Roseburg, Oregon and go to the Wildlife Safari before school started. It was awesome! Well, I thought so at least. A lot of the animals just roam around and aren't in cages. The carnivores are (thankfully) but pretty much everything else just walks around like it's no big deal. Here's a bunch of pictures from the trip:
I definitely feel a little too close to this rhino. There was nothing between me and him but an open window.
We stared each other down. In the end, We drove away slowly and I felt much safer being a little farther from that ginormous horn.
The kids stood up through the sunroof and checked out all the animals. Nicole kept climbing down and when we asked her why, she replied, "Because I don't like when the bugs splat on my face!" It was hilarious!
Of course, being on the inside of the car was a little more uncomfortable:
Nicole wanted her picture taken with this buffalo. Of all the animals to choose, she wanted the buffalo.
This emu got close enough to our car that we actually had to roll up the windows. Poor Tori was scared half to death. It was a little freaky, but kinda fun too.
Monkeys are always fun to watch. Always.
In the end, I thought it was great. We saw lions, tigers, bears, giraffes, cheetas, cougars, zebras, and a bunch of other really cool animals. I thought it was worth the drive and I think Ben liked it too. The kids? Well, they were more excited about staying at a hotel than anything else. Next time, maybe we'll just drive to the nearest Holiday Inn and get a room for the night. The view from our room was pretty.

No comments: