Monday, November 22, 2010

Cutting down the cherry tree

I meant to do this post like 3 weeks ago, but hey, it's better late than never.
I have a huge cherry tree in my back yard. Actually, that's not entirely true. My neighbor has a huge cherry tree in her back yard and it's right on the fence line. It's seriously messing up the fence, it drops leaves onto my roof, gutter, and yard. It drops cherries all summer which attract bees and stain my kids' feet red. Then in the spring I have 10,000 miniature cherry trees growing and I have to pull every single one of them out. But in May, this tree is amazing. It's covered in white blossoms and with just a tiny breeze, they come floating down around you. It's amazing. I endure all of the other inconveniences just for those 2 weeks in May. But, as I said before, the tree is in my neighbor's yard, not my own. So when she wanted to cut it down, I couldn't do much about it. Truthfully, it'll be nice to not rake 8 bags of leaves, pull 10,000 mini-trees, or scrub my kids feet raw. But I will seriously miss the shade it gave us and, of course, the month of May.
The utility guys come over once a year to trim the branches away from the power lines. It's a little lopsided to begin with:
But then the real chopping began.


And now it's gone. All the way gone. Am I sad about it? Yes, now I have to look at that ugly cell tower instead of a pretty tree. But, let's look on the bright side: my neighbor is going to plant some giant palms in it's place. So now it'll look like I'm somewhere tropical when I look outside! Oh wait, it'll probably just look like someone accidentally planted some palm trees and it'll look really weird. Sigh. Oh well.

No comments: