Monday, November 5, 2007

Jumping in the leaves






Unfortunately, I am terribly afraid of snakes. Ben, I'm sure you laughed when you read this because truly, afraid is the understatement of a lifetime. When I was 8 months pregnant with Nicole, I saw a teeny tiny little (harmless) snake in the grass and I climbed Ben like he was a ladder. I promise, that is not something I would have been able to do under any other circumstance. I laughed at myself for being so silly and then started to cry because that stupid little snake really did scare me. Anyway, because of this lifelong fear of snakes, I have never been one to jump in a big pile of leaves in the fall. I mean, what if there is a bunch of snakes in there? That would be the end of me. But I was bound and determined not to let my kids be dumb like me, so last week, Ben's mom, Debbi, and I made a big pile of leaves for the kids and they had a blast. She got right in there and let the kids bury her in the leaves (something I could never do) and the kids had a blast. I know it's dumb to be afraid of something that can't hurt you, but I never said it was a rational fear. Anyway, the kids miss Debbi like crazy and they want Mommy to play in the leaves with them. I think I'll stick to raking them into a pile for now and just let them jump in them. Maybe someday, but not today.

No comments: