Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's Resolution Time!

Well, it's January 1st and time to make some resolutions for this year. I'm pretty bad at following through on my resolutions. I'm good until about March, then it all goes down hill. I just forget about them! So, I've decided to write them down and put them on my mirror so I'll see them every day. The trendy thing this year is to choose a word to define the upcoming year. I'm not going to do that. My year is going to be too awesome for just one word.

1. Get back to basics. Don't worry about doing every single thing perfectly, just focus on the most important things, do them well, and everything else will be good enough.

2. Exercise. My goal for this year is to do some form of exercise every day (except Sunday). On super busy days, I might only spent 15 minutes on the treadmill or take Baxter for an extra long walk, but I will do something 6 days a week.

3. Read The New Testament. I have studied this book of scripture at church many times, but I don't think I have ever sat down and read the whole thing by myself. This year, I will.

4. Think nice thoughts. I'm very hard on myself and am my own worst critic. This year, I will be nice to myself. I will accept that I can't do everything perfectly and I will try to recognize my talents and strengths. I will still try to overcome my weaknesses, but I will not hate myself for them.

5. Don't pick. This sounds dumb, but I'm a picker. If I see a scab, a zit, a loose piece of skin on myself or anyone in my family, I must pick at it. It's not a good habit. It's bad for my skin, it's gross, and it needs to stop.

That's it. I'm not going to make a thousand goals that I know I will never get around to fulfilling. I won't put that kind of pressure on myself. I want to keep the list small so that I have a chance of succeeding. Maybe I'll do an update half-way through the year, maybe not. We'll see if I can remember...

No comments: