Monday, May 9, 2011


Day 2
It's day 2 in paradise and all is well. We started off the day at the Koa Pancake House. The pancakes were delicious! I love breakfast. It's definitely my favorite meal of the day. I think the Koa Pancake House was more of a local place - there weren't very many tourists there. We were definitely going to need a good breakfast because we have a full day ahead of us. We donned our swimming suits and headed out.

After breakfast we headed up to Diamond Head. The hike is only 0.8 miles each way, but it's uphill, lots of switchbacks, and 271 stairs! Oddly enough, it was easier for me to go up the stairs than down. My legs were trembling the whole way down. I had to stop twice on the way down. The view was pretty even at the trail head.

Half way up we stopped to take in the view.
The pamphlet they gave us at the trail head said, "it's always hot here". They weren't kidding! I was sweating buckets! The hike wasn't terribly hard, but it was so hot, I felt like I was melting. I hate being sweaty.

When we got to the bottom, we saw a food truck and decided to get a shave ice. It was sooo good! We got coconut, strawberry, and watermelon. Yummmm...
Actually, it tasted so good that I took off my sunglasses so I could fully enjoy it. Then I proceeded to walk off and leave them there. Crap.

After we made it back the car, we headed to Hanauma Bay. We borrowed some snorkeling equipment from Duke and Shayna. We didn't take any pictures, but we had lots of fun laying on the beach, snorkeling, and punching pigeons. There was even a rooster on the beach! I wish I had a picture of it. It was a beautiful bird! It was very rainy on the windward side of the island but it was beautiful where we were. It was a little cloudy, but that kept us from getting too hot. People kept apologizing for the weather. Like they could do something about it! We didn't mind at all.

After snorkeling we went back to Duke and Shayna's house, got cleaned up and then went to Waikiki for dinner. We went to a Japanese place called Ichiriki. It was interesting. Not the greatest food I've ever had, but it was a different kind of dining experience. It's called Nabe. There was a boiling bowl of flavored broth and they brought us different meats and vegetables to cook in the broth and then rice to eat it with. It was good, but I probably wouldn't spend that much money on it again.

It's the end of day 2 and I'm tired. I managed to NOT get sunburned today so I'm pretty happy. I'm excited for tomorrow!

No comments: