Friday, May 20, 2011

Renewing Our Vows

Yesterday was our 10 year wedding anniversary. Ben had the brilliant and romantic idea of renewing our vows and sharing a second wedding day with our children (since they weren't able to attend the first one). We went to my parents house because they have a pretty gazebo in the back yard. We didn't invite anyone, so don't be offended that you weren't invited. It was just a little thing that we did to show each other, and our children, how much we love each other.

We weren't trying to exactly recreate our wedding day. I did wear the same dress (it actually fit!!) and I ordered the same flavor cake that we had 10 years ago, but the rest of it was different. Tyler officiated in our little ceremony. He did a really good job. :-) The girls did the rings, we wrote our own vows, my mom and dad helped keep the kids under control and videoed for us. I wrote out the transcript if you want to read it instead of watching the whole video.

Overall, it was perfect. I forgot my shoes, but it was a good day to go barefoot. Here's a few pictures from the happy day and a video of the whole shebang -- courtesy of my dad -- at the end. Happy anniversary, Ben!



Tyler:   We are gathered here today to witness Mom and Dad get remarried. It was 10 years ago that they were first married, and today they wanted to show each other how much they still care for one another.
Dad, would you like to exchange your vow?

Ben:  Kristi, you are the most beautiful, smart, kind and unfailingly-generous person I have ever known. 10 years ago, I pledged my love and commitment to you, but it seems like only yesterday. I promised to love, honor, and comfort you, for better or worse, for the rest of our lives and for eternity. You have been by my side as we created a family, a home, and this crazy life of ours together. So, today, at the beginning of our 11th year as an old married couple, I renew my vows, pledge my eternal love to you, and eagerly await whatever it is that life brings us. I love you.

Tyler:   Mom, would you like to exchange your vow?

Kristi:   On this day, 10 years ago, I chose you. I chose you to be the person that I share my life with. The one person in my life that would come to know everything about me. The person who would love me in spite of my faults, encourage me in all my endeavors, and pick me up when I’ve fallen.  Ten years ago, I chose you because of your contagious smile, your ability to make me laugh, your dashing good looks, and because I knew that you loved me more than anything else in this world. Ten years ago, I thought I would only make this choice once. Oh, how little I knew of marriage ten years ago! I choose you every day. I know that there are other options. I know that marriage isn’t always permanent. I know that sometimes we go in different directions.  But I choose you. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would still choose you. I will always choose you. I love you.
 
Tyler:   Dad, do you continue to take Mom as your loving wife? 

Ben:  I do.

Tyler:  Will you always love her and tell her how pretty she is for all eternity?

Ben:  I will.

Tyler:  Mom, do you continue to take Dad as your loving husband? 

Kristi:  I do.

Tyler:  Will you always love him and laugh at his silly jokes for all eternity?

Kristi:  I will.
Tyler:  Nicole and Tori, please bring up the rings.
Mom and Dad, these rings are a symbol that show you will love each other always and forever. 
Dad, you may now kiss the bride.
Now let’s go eat some cake!

 


4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Cute! And I just read through all your Hawaii posts. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Amber said...

10 years! It can't be! I was just looking at that bridesmaids dress the other day when I was packing. I still have it. :)
You guys look just as good as you did 10 years ago.

Robin said...

I LOVE IT!!! You guys are so cute! What a great idea :)
P.S. I feel like I haven't seen you in years...

all about the girls said...

Beautiful! I love it!!!